If you have a total loss of power

Check that there has not been a power cut, and that you have enough credit on your prepay meter.

  • Turn off all circuits if controlled by fuses or miniature circuit breakers (MCBs)
  • Do not remove fuses
  • Reset the trip switch to the ‘on’ position and reset each circuit breaker in turn
  • If the loss of power is due to a faulty circuit, that circuit breaker switch will ‘trip’ (turn off) when you try to turn it on again. If this happens, or if a fuse has blown, call us immediately on 01482 210842 so that a qualified electrician can repair it for you

Loss of power to sockets

If your sockets don’t work but other circuits do, it may be because one of your appliances has tripped the trip switch.

  • Unplug all appliances and then follow the second and third steps above
  • If all your circuits come back on, begin plugging your appliances back in one by one
  • If one of your appliances is faulty it will trip the switch again. You will need to repair or replace this appliance
  • If the circuit breaker won’t reset with all appliances unplugged, call us on 01482 210842 as there may be a fault with the circuit

If the fault is from a shower that was fitted by HCHA, it will be our responsibility to maintain it.

If HCHA is called out and it is a faulty appliance that is not our responsibility, this will result in a chargeable repair.

Will you fit a smoke alarm at my property?

If you do not have a smoke alarm fitted at your property, please contact the repairs line on 01482 210842 to let us know.