If your housing needs change


Please contact a member of the Housing Management team to discuss your housing needs on 01482 210842.

How do I give my notice?

You will need to give four weeks’ notice, by completing a termination form, please contact 01482 210842 to request a form. The termination date is set from the following Monday after the date we receive your notice.

We want to make sure your tenancy is ended properly so you don’t have to pay any additional costs or rent charges.

Please ensure you provide us with a current telephone number and forwarding address.

What happens once I’ve given my notice?

Once a termination notice is received, you will receive confirmation in writing of the date your tenancy is due to end, when keys are due to be returned and any rent payable until the end of your tenancy.

Where possible, a representative from HCHA will carry out a pre-termination inspection at the property. This is to gather details about the property and offer any advice needed.

Any outstanding rent not covered by Housing Benefit, should be paid before the termination date.

During the notice period it may be necessary to allow prospective tenants to view the property. Please note: a member of HCHA staff always accompanies them.

Returning your keys

All keys should be returned by 12 noon on the Monday the tenancy ceases. You must return your keys on time as the tenancy doesn’t end until we have them. This means that the rent will continue to be charged until we do. If you don’t return all the keys, you will be charged by us to have all the locks in the property changed.

When you move out

When moving out you must:

  • Have the meters read, water turned off and leave electrical cables in a safe condition,
  • Provide details of energy suppliers,
  • Not leave anyone else living in the property,
  • Leave all fixtures and fittings in good repair,
  • Leave the decoration of the property in a good condition.

Removing appliances

If you are removing gas or electrical appliances, we advise you to use a qualified tradesperson.

Removal of furniture

The property and garden must be left clear of all rubbish, furniture and other contents. If items are left in the property, we will charge you for their removal.